21 July 2007

Salt water and sea air

In Texas when we want the smell of sea air we “head for Corpus,” or we “go to South Padre.” Having grown up in New England, I’ve not managed to become a fan of the waters of the Gulf. I suppose it’s all the same water, but it sure doesn’t seem it to me. On Monday morning I’m catching a 6:20 a.m. non-stop flight headed northeast, and I’ll be spending the inside of a week on the New Jersey shore. It won’t be all play and no work – I’ll be meeting with the architect to discuss preliminary plans for the expansion we need to build – but I’m looking forward to some saltwater fishing and a little bit of a break. I’m indebted to some very kind parishioners who have been, for the past several years, urging me to visit them at their summer home there. I wish JoAnn could go too, but since she gets sick even thinking about getting on a plane, she and I decided that I might as well go. I guess after nearly thirty-seven years of marriage we've accepted the fact that I like to travel and she doesn’t.

Anyway, I’ll be away from Monday through Friday. Although I might post something on the blog, then again I might not. I won’t be away for any of our Sunday Masses, and Fr. Rutkowski will be celebrating the 7:00 a.m. weekday Masses while I’m gone. I’m looking forward to a little break – but you know, I really miss being here when I’m away.