28 July 2007

Back home...

I got back in San Antonio last evening after a very enjoyable break. Ok, ok, I know it was in New Jersey, but I was at the South Jersey shore, which is absolutely beautiful. Also, I managed to spend several hours with our architect, and we were able to get some preliminary ideas worked out for our next expansion.

Last Tuesday we took a small power boat out and traveled some of the Inland Waterway. I don’t know when I’ve had a more relaxing day. Gorgeous weather, delightful temperatures, no humidity – it was like meandering along a liquid country road. The pesky greenhead flies managed to keep us rooted in reality, but they were only a minor annoyance. I suppose they do have some purpose in God’s creation, but I can’t imagine what it is.

On Wednesday we took the large boat out for some deep sea fishing. It was my first time, and it was a terrific experience! We left the dock at 4:00 a.m. and went about thirty-five miles out. I’d never seen sunrise out at sea, and that alone was worth the trip. We had an excellent first mate, Sean, who took care of preparing the bait and getting the lines set up. We were after some tuna, but the fish were very considerate – they didn’t bother us once all day. So we came home empty-handed. Thankfully, we weren’t planning on fish for supper, and good friend, Fr. Hartman (who is the pastor of Mary, Mother of the Church in Belmawr, New Jersey) joined us for the evening for some excellent Italian cuisine.

Thursday was a great “knock-around” day – bike riding around the town of Stone Harbor, eating breakfast and lunch in some of the local haunts, back out on the small boat – and then on Friday a little more work with the architect and off to Newark to catch the plane back to San Antonio.

It was a wonderful break. Before I went, I was sure I didn’t need any vacation, but I was wrong. Just those few days away, seeing friends and having no schedule, was just what I needed. Of course, as the plane touched down in San Antonio I realized how good it is to have this as home. And this morning, back at our own altar, I had a whole lot to be thankful for.