13 August 2014

A Priest Forever...

With all the other events we celebrate on the Solemnity of the Assumption -- the canonical erection of the Parish of Our Lady of the Atonement, the dedication of the church and consecration of the altar, the founding of the parish school, and the blessing of the extended church -- there is also my ordination to the priesthood.

What an occasion that was! We were at San Fernando Cathedral in downtown San Antonio, and as soon as the archbishop had ordained me, he declared the canonical erection of the parish and appointed me to be the Founding Pastor. Thirty-one years later, and I'm still here...still with plenty to be done!

Here are some pictures of that happy and blessed occasion. I know I've said it before, but it really does seem as though it was yesterday.

The Procession into the Cathedral of San Fernando,
with my Presenter, Fr. Scagnelli, next to me


The Prostration during the Litany of the Saints


The Laying on of Hands
One more bishop, and it would have been a consecration!


The Promise of Obedience
to the Archbishop and his Successors


Administering Holy Communion to my wife, JoAnn
(expecting our daughter Catherine)


The Priest's First Blessing,
Archbishop Flores and Bishop Popp kneeling to receive it


Our little family at the time
(left to right) Sarah, Christian and Nathan