We're adding to our music faculty at The Atonement Academy, and we have posted this position in several places, but if you know of a talented Catholic musician who would qualify -- and please note the high level of qualifications necessary -- please pass this along:
Choral Music Instructor
The Atonement Academy, a large, vibrant Catholic school with a comprehensive graded music program seeks a full-time Choral Music Teacher for the 2012-2013 academic year. This represents an opportunity for candidates with exceptional musical and pedagogical skills to exercise their talent in a unique and supportive setting. The Atonement Academy is the parish school of Our Lady of the Atonement Catholic Church, the founding parish for the Anglican Use of the Roman Rite in the United States. With a mission to strive for excellence in the physical, intellectual and spiritual virtues through a challenging course of classical and Catholic education, the academy builds into every student’s routine daily Mass, rigorous academics, and opportunities for participation in sports as well as a variety of extracurricular activities. Founded in 1994 and a recipient of the National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence Award, The Atonement Academy enrolls approximately 550 students in grades pre-kindergarten through twelve. Every student participates in the comprehensive choral music program that encompasses the disciplines of music theory, sight-singing, ear training and vocal technique. Beginning in the third grade, students are assigned to one of ten choirs which sing in rotation for the daily school Mass. In addition, these students present several concerts each year with select students competing in state-wide TMEA, TPSMEA, and TCDA competitions.
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Music
• High level of proficiency in vocal pedagogy as it pertains to children’s and young adult voices, choral conducting and organ service playing.
• Training and experience in Kodaly, Ward, Royal School of Church Music or similar method of music education.
• Experience working with children and a desire to instill in them an appreciation for great choral music, particularly music of the Church.
• Knowledge of Gregorian chant, Anglican chant, hymnody and sacred choral repertoire appropriate for treble and mixed voices.
• Ability to work collaboratively with the other members of the academy music faculty to execute the vision as articulated by the Pastor, administrative team and Director of Music.
• Practicing Catholic, faithful to the Magisterium.
Responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
• Teaching age-appropriate concepts of vocal technique and music theory (note-reading, ear training and sight reading) to students at the primary and secondary levels;
• Sharing duties with other music faculty in providing organ music for daily school Masses;
• Preparing student choirs to sing for daily Mass
• Preparing student choirs to sing for annual concerts (Christmas and spring)
• Sharing in accompanying duties for concerts with other music faculty members
• Additional potential to be involved at the parish level -assisting with training parish choirs, accompanying choirs at Sunday Mass. Additional compensation provided.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
3-manual, 50 rank Casavant pipe organ (church)
1 manual, 7 rank Laukuff organ (chapel)
4-octave set of Malmark choir chimes
To apply for the above position, send cover letter and resumé to:
Edmund G. Murray
Director of Music
Our Lady of the Atonement Church
The Atonement Academy
15415 Red Robin Rd.
San Antonio, TX 78255