11 March 2011

Stations of the Cross


For nearly thirty years we have used an order for the Stations of the Cross at the parish which was assembled by the now-departed Fr. W. T. St. John Brown. I have always found this particular version of the Stations to be especially beautiful, a lovely combination of traditional devotions coupled with Collects from the Book of Common Prayer, and readings from the scriptures. I guess it’s the scriptures that really get to me. Or, to be more specific, the version of the scriptures which is used is what I love; namely, the old Authorized Version, also known as the King James Version. Yes, I know -- there’s a lot of baggage that goes along with that. But I can’t help it. There’s something about those familiar words that really burrows down deep in my soul.

Fr. Brown’s order for the Stations can be found here, and as an added bonus there are some reflections by John Henry Cardinal Newman. We don’t use the reflections in our public saying of the Stations, but they’re included for your edification.

We pray the Stations of the Cross at the parish each Friday in Lent, first with the students of the Academy at 2:15 p.m., and at 7:00 p.m., we have Solemn Evensong, then Stations, followed by Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament.