16 December 2009

Experts (self-proclaimed)...

(Below) The Parish Shrine of St. Joseph

St. Joseph, Patron of the Universal Church, pray for us... please!

A video of our Mass on the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe is posted on the web, and it's been linked to several Catholic sites.  Liturgical videos tend bring out every eccentric and sacristy rat in existence.  Now, I like things done decently and in order, but the level of minutiae and the amount of harping from some of these people is breathtaking. 

The exchange of comments that tickled me the most was between two "experts in their own minds" about the use of the cope at Mass.  "Should it be worn at all?"  "Should it be worn only for the procession in?"  "Changing from cope to chasuble is fake medievalism."  "There is no warrant at all for using the cope in the way it was used in that liturgy."  "That's not part of the Anglican Use."  And on and on and on.  I can't believe the amount of bandwidth they were using for a discussion about the cope!

A Cistercian brother with whom I occasionally exchange emails wrote me a note, and with tongue firmly in cheek, said, "I can't wait to visit Our Lady of the Atonement and watch you commit wanton copery."

"Wanton copery."  That's a phrase that I'll keep in my liturgical lexicon.