05 November 2007

On a personal note...

One of the meadows where I helped with haying during my boyhood...

A favorite path through the woods...

Ready to be mowed, raked and baled...


I've mentioned in past posts that I grew up on the family dairy farm in Connecticut, and many of my happiest childhood memories are attached to the acreage on East Cotton Hill Road in New Hartford. My grandparents, my parents, and then my brothers all continued on, spanning most of the twentieth century. A few years ago it went the way of most family farms, and the dairy operations ceased. The land remains, however, with the ever-present allure of selling to developers.

Recently, I was pleased to learn that what is left of the farmland won't be turned over to outsized houses on artificially demarcated building lots. Instead, the old farm will live on in a fashion by being part of the "open space" preservation plan. It means that through a grant from the state of Connecticut, combined with financial support from the town, the land will remain as it is -- undeveloped, a haven for wildlife, available for future generations to experience the woods and fields and wetlands as I did when I was a boy.

Sad as it is that there's no longer a working farm there, nonetheless it's nice to know that my grandchildren and great-grandchildren and their successive generations will be able wander the same streams and fields and woods as I did. May they enjoy it as much.