02 May 2007

Apologia without apology

“…but in your hearts reverence Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to make a defense to any one who calls you to account for the hope that is in you, yet do it with gentleness and reverence…” (I Peter 3:15)

On this commemoration of St. Athanasius it’s good to be reminded of how important it is for us to be able to defend and explain our Catholic faith. But this does mean we actually have to put in some time reading and studying. And I don’t mean just those who are clergy, or catechists, or professional theologians. Every one of us needs to do this.

One of the most useful sites I’ve found is Karl Keating’s Catholic Answers. It’s loaded with excellent articles, all fairly brief and to the point. Also, it has links to some other terrific sites. I’ve never found anything here other than the straight, unvarnished truth. It’s presented in very simple language. For me, that’s a plus. Although I do enjoy wading into the deeper waters of theology, sometimes it nice to read something without having to have a dictionary in the other hand.

Have a look through it, especially in the “Library” section, and see if you find it as helpful as I have.