27 August 2016

Better each day...


Most of you know that about a week ago I had a rather nasty fall in the rectory which resulted in a broken hip. There was no dramatic reason for the fall – it was simply my inattention which caused me to stumble on a small set of steps leading into the kitchen which sent me “airborne” resulting in landing square on my hip on a tile floor.

In what was a typical (for me) attitude that ”these things never happen to me” I decided that the excruciating pain was the result of a pulled muscle and I proceeded to try and walk it off (what a mistake!) which only exacerbated the injury. After a night of being propped on a sofa, even I was willing to admit that there was a good chance I had broken something. That was confirmed after a visit to the Baptist Emergency Hospital (newly built on 1604 near us). I was then transferred to St. Luke’s Baptist Hospital, where I was given a complete hip replacement. The care I received was consistently marvellous, and your prayers are putting me over the top!

Although it’s still a bit difficult for me to negotiate very far, and I still get tired fairly quickly, I do plan to make a visit to the school sometime this week. I’m working regularly with my physical therapist (a wonderful Catholic lady from Boerne) and her exercises are making me stronger. She and the visiting nurse, in consultation with the surgeon encouraged me to remain at home this weekend, but they agreed that a visit to the school next week would be good for everybody!

Of course, I yearn to be back at the altar in the place I love so much, with the people who are so dear to me. Right now, I’m not able to stand for any extended period of time, but it won’t be long before I’m back with renewed energy. Thanks for your prayers!