03 April 2015

The well-traveled Crucifix


The Relic of the True Cross is embedded in this simple crucifix, and it is one of three relics of the True Cross we have at the parish.

This crucifix has special meaning for me. It is the first crucifix I had, and I purchased it at the old S.P.C.K. shop on the High Street in Salisbury, England, when I began my studies at the Theological College there. I had it in my College study, and it then was in my office at the Anglican parish I served in Bristol, England. It was brought back to America when we returned, and it was in my office at both Episcopal parishes in which I served. It was in the first parish office when we came to Texas to found Our Lady of the Atonement (the office shared the rectory laundry room). Finally it was embedded with this relic in 1987, when we began using it for the Veneration of the Cross.