11 February 2013

The Pope's resignation


I've celebrated two Masses this morning, during which I was able to meditate face-to-face with the Lord, seeking His peace and divine Wisdom in trying to understand today's announcement from the Holy Father.

On more than one occasion during those two Masses I felt tears welling, and it was difficult to form words. It seemed as though I was in mourning and yet no one had died.

The readings appointed for the Commemoration of Our Lady of Lourdes were helpful. I heard Isaiah say, "As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you; you shall be comforted in Jerusalem." It reassured me that comfort would come -- I didn't know when, nor how -- but comfort would come. And then in the Gospel, the words of the Blessed Virgin Mary directed me, "Do whatever he tells you..." It was the important reminder that the Lord Jesus Christ is the Head of His Church, and all that is required is that we be obedient to Him.

Pope Benedict assures us that he is being obedient to what the Lord wants, and so I draw comfort from his reassurance. I don't need to understand any more than that.