10 November 2009

Posting from Rome...

Here are a few brief thoughts, while perched on a stool in a hotel lobby, using free internet access.  Even though I'm far away from home, it's like being in a 'second home,' and with phone and internet connections, I'm managing to keep up with the marvellous and historic events of these days.

Questions are being asked by many, 'How do I do this?  How do I get involved in the process of becoming part of an Ordinariate?'  Actually, a plain reading of the Apostolic Constitution Anglicanorum Coetibus makes it pretty clear. In section IX it states, Both the lay faithful as well as members of Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life, originally part of the Anglican Communion, who wish to enter the Personal Ordinariate, must manifest this desire in writing.  To whom should this be made manifest?  Again, it's made clear, this time in Article 1 of the Complementary Norms for the Apostolic Constitution: Each Ordinariate is subject to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. It maintains close relations with the other Roman Dicasteries in accordance with their competence. 

There is no mention of the Pastoral Provision or the Pastoral Provision Office in the Constitution or in the Complementary Norms.  It seem apparent to me that this new and generous act by the Holy Father not only extends what we have been doing in the parishes for the past twenty-six years, but it clearly designates the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith as the point of contact, and the decisive Office for the establishment and nurture of the Ordinariates.

These are my initial observations, and I'll have more to come.  Meanwhile, know that I'm praying for all of us who are, or who will be, part of the Ordinariates.  Mass today was in the Chapel of the Eucharistic Miracle in Siena, and the speedy implementation of the Constitution was at the top of my list of intercessions.

God bless you all -- I'll be posting more soon.