10 October 2008

Merci beaucoup, Monsieur Pincemaille!

I almost forgot to post these pictures, taken at the reception following a magnificent organ recital presented on October 4th by Pierre Pincemaille, showcasing our Casavant and Nave Organs. I was reminded by the recent commemoration of St. Denis and his Companions, because Monsieur Pincemaille is the Titular Organist at the Cathedral of St. Denis in Paris.

In the picture below I'm explaining to Monsieur Pincemaille that, in a sense, one of the influences urging me to the priesthood was the Cesar Franck "Choral No. 3 in A minor," which was the opening piece at the recital. Nothing mystical about its influence. I simply struggled so much to learn it while an undergraduate organ student, that it helped me realize that my gifts lay elsewhere!


This picture shows Monsieur Pincemaille and me with Edmund Murray, our own very talented Organist and Choirmaster.


Here's the program:
Choral No. 3 in A minor, by Cesar Franck
Prelude, Fugue et Variation, Op. 19, by Cesar Franck
From Symphony II in E minor, Op. 20, by Louis Vierne
-Choral
-Scherzo
Choral Varie sur le theme du "Veni Creator" by Maurice Durufle
Le Banquet Celeste, by Olivier Messiaen
Improvisation on a submitted theme (which was the hymn tune "Aurelia")