15 August 2008

Twenty-five years!

The students decorated the entrance to my office today with a huge banner they'd made and signed. All through the hallways I kept hearing "Happy Anniversary, Father!" What a great day!

Today is the great anniversary date for almost everything around here... the canonical erection of the parish, my ordination to the priesthood, the dedication and blessing of the original church, the founding of the parish school, and the list could go on. Most of the important stuff seems to be tied to the celebration of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Our first Mass this morning was celebrated at the High Altar, because our rather sizeable Sacred Heart Chapel was too small for those who were fulfilling their obligation before going to work. Then at 9:15 a.m. the church was jam-packed with all the students and lots of other parishioners who gathered for the celebration of the Latin Mass in the ordinary form. The Upper School choir provided the music, and I have to say they were terrific -- especially considering they've only just begun their rehearsals after the long summer break. Tonight at 7:00 p.m. we'll be celebrating a Solemn Mass using the Anglican Use liturgy, followed by a reception in the courtyard.

I keep telling people I'll be around for the 50th anniversary celebration. After all, I'll only be 83 years old!