22 February 2007

A great man in our history...

Not discussing strictly religious subjects, but certainly Catholic in outlook, I’ve mentioned GeoPolitics before. In honor of the birthday of our first President, you might want to have a look at some of the articles posted there having to do with the thoughts and writings of George Washington.

I’ve never gotten used to this “Presidents’ Day” business. I still think of today as “Washington’s Birthday,” as it was when I was a youngster in school. My mother always baked cherry pie for the occasion, and even though I didn’t especially like cherries, everybody had to have a piece for dessert at supper. Mother was a great believer in the “I cannot tell a lie” story, so it just wouldn’t have been right, in her estimation, not to have cherry pie in honor of the Father of our country. At least she was willing to let me have some vanilla ice cream on top of it, which made it bearable…